+24
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Legend
Donator
Knight
Mad Hatter
V³ Citizen
Warning: This is partially a rant post. My opinions on certain matters are going to be very apparent with sarcasm used in some areas. Please read the entire post before commenting.

We've all seen them, they log on every single day. A brand-spanking new player that has logged in for the first time. You welcome him, you applaud him for choosing the best Tekkit Classic server ever, but what does he do? The player immediately moves past all the signs and boards to start his adventure when the very first thing he says in chat is, 'can I have some free stuff?'.
CdogNerfinator: /facepalm

Now I've been playing on this server for over a year now and have really enjoyed my time. In fact, I've just recently donated to show my appreciation. To me the server, and video games in general, are a place to relax and have fun. And I'm sure many other players will agree. However, when players grief, raid, and are constantly complaining about why they can or can't do something, then it makes playing not fun at all. Especially when those questions are directly answered on the signs and info boards at spawn.

What's worse is when a player, not just starter, but expert, pro, and even donator ranks, are caught breaking a rule and their reply is 'I didn't know' or 'meh, I don't read rules'. Two different types of replies with the same effect, me wanting to reach through the internet and strangle the kid. Let's briefly review these two types of replies:
- The first type of reply is either truly meant or is just the prey's first excuse to try and escape. On certain occasions yes, a brand new player may have misinterpreted a grey area in the rules. Any other time and it's just the first thing the player though of to attempt to escape his minimal punishment.
- The second type of reply is the sarcastic reply. Hehe, very funny. After playing for over a year you've heard all the 'jokes' and it gets very old very quick. If in fact this player is being truly honest and has never read a rule in his entire life then he should be kicked/banned immediately because of his incompetence.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have had enough! This blatant disregard for the rules with only minimal consequences has gone on long enough! What's the result of this disregard you may ask? A world looking like our very own Terra world. I for one do not want my brand new Firma world to look exactly like ol' Terra in the next few weeks. It's time that us players and staff actually do something besides selling blaze rods, macerators, and condensers to starters or placing another wooden sign next to the rule board.

So, with all that being said, here is my proposed solution:
1. Have a separate spawn for brand new players, possibly in the minigames world. The minigames world is almost completely empty and escaping the rule spawn would be pointless. This new spawn should have a layout that is similar to the '/warp rulequiz' but have more questions answering some of the frequently asked questions like 'how to place an energy collector' , 'what is minimum value' etc.

While we're at it, throw everyone into this new spawn at least once. That way we know without a shadow of a doubt that everyone has read the rules and is therefore responsible for their actions, past and future.

2. Have harsher consequences. I've mentioned this in other posts, and I don't like it either. But for the sake of order and justice we must have real punishments. A 10 minute mute or jail is not going to cut it. In my personal opinion, there should be no mute or jail; Just kicks and bans, and not tiny 10-20 minute ones. I'm talking about whole days or even a week long kicks. By making the consequences greater it will deter players from breaking the rules in the first place.

Congratulations, you've reached the end of the post. Thank you for reading, I await your feedback. :)
CdogNerfinator's Forum Rules:
#1 All posts must have at least one emoticon
#2 When revising a post use the "Edit" feature
#3 Punctuate all sentences
#4 Obey all CdogNerfinator's rules
Posted Feb 21, 15 · OP · Last edited Feb 21, 15 by CdogNerfin...
List
Undo
Votes:
+9
Legend
Citizen
V³ Citizen
The first proposed solution won't go well. I was apart of server that did this and we didn't gain a single new player while it was up. Most would see it and then leave almost immediately or after they get one question wrong. Another way they got by it was just running through it without reading and if it took them more than a few minutes to get through they left. Also, a lot of the commonly asked questions are a little complex to explain through simple questions and small text on signs or tekkit boards. It would probably be better to try to get some kind of auto answer plugin that links to either a tekkit wiki page or an info section on the site for simple questions regarding collectors, IC credits, and the bank. oh and my favorite. The questions regarding if terra is getting deleted.

I'm liking the proposed solution 2. Though it can easily lead to walking on a thin line. By making them harsher it will spread knowledge of the rules faster, but if someone breaks the rules they'll start complaining about the punishments being too harsh and more likely just leave the server if it's too harsh and then come back in a few weeks once they have calmed down. Either way this one can work, but it needs to be done in a way that's fully thought out.
10.jpg
Posted Feb 21, 15
Votes:
+19
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Pro
Royal
Royal Moderator
V³ Citizen
if we do add a manditory rule quiz, we will loose alot of players. this is because most players want to just play, and yes, this causes some issues regaring them knowing the rules we all play by. i have also had a whish to add a rule quiz for all players, but i do know that it wont work. regarding stricter punishment, we (staff) give the punishment we see fit, for that one "wrongdoing". i do also see your point of view, and do like the fact that you have though it thru, but i am not able to see how longer punishments, and just bans and tempbans would be any bether..

(i wont say sorry for any bad english i may have put in here :offtopic: )

:t3:
Posted Feb 21, 15
Votes:
+9
Legend
Citizen
V³ Citizen
Actually, an idea is we could add questions about rules to the vote quizzes. It will give new players some motivation to learn them and if they can't answer it an older player can answer it for them. The questions can be cycled with the current questions for variety.
10.jpg
Posted Feb 21, 15 · Last edited Feb 21, 15 by spanton2
List
Undo
shorey_x $GG
Gecko's Guardian
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
Pro
Donator
Royal
Mad Hatter
Marketeer
Royal Moderator
Royal Pro
Royal Legend
Staff Manager
News Manager
V³ Citizen
So what im hearing is i need to build another rule quiz :p

~shorey_x
Posted Feb 21, 15
Votes:
+24
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Legend
Donator
Knight
Mad Hatter
V³ Citizen
Thanks for the quick replies. So the first concern to address is players leaving due to mandatory rule quiz and extended punishments.

I am personally fine with the server count so far. There are usually about 20-30 online whenever I log on. It's enough to have a decent conversation in main chat without losing track and not too quiet that it gets boring. If a few were to leave because of a few changes that's understandable and to be expected. Not everyone will agree to every single decision no matter how hard we try. If we were to implement either a mandatory rule quiz or extended punishments and have players leave, I'd rather have them leave now instead of after griefing or breaking other rules. The rule quiz and extended punishments will increase overall player quality in the long run by setting the standards a bit higher.

I also have another question/suggestion specifically for staff. When conducting a mute, jail, kick, or ban how is it recorded or relayed to the other staff? At times I've felt that other staff are unaware of a players past mutes and kicks and the player can get away with certain actions between mods rotating in and out. If there is no recording system established yet then I would recommend one do. Even just a simple Skype group with all the staff listing 'x player muted 10 min for x reason' would be a very helpful reference when staff are conducting their shifts on the server.

I am also very fond of spanton2's suggestion for additional questions geared toward rules in the quizzes. My only concern would be that the random quizzes get flooded with too many of these type questions. If we could find a good mix of important and frequently asked questions while keeping some of the airhead trivia questions, that would be great. :)
CdogNerfinator's Forum Rules:
#1 All posts must have at least one emoticon
#2 When revising a post use the "Edit" feature
#3 Punctuate all sentences
#4 Obey all CdogNerfinator's rules
Posted Feb 22, 15 · OP · Last edited Feb 22, 15 by CdogNerfin...
shorey_x $GG
Gecko's Guardian
Votes:
+56
Level 3
LEVEL 3
Pro
Donator
Royal
Mad Hatter
Marketeer
Royal Moderator
Royal Pro
Royal Legend
Staff Manager
News Manager
V³ Citizen
We have a log for Jails and mutes. It is up to the staff to use it and set punishments accordingly.
(Would go into the rest but it is 7:30am for me so I'll reply when i wake back up :) )
~shorey_x
Posted Feb 22, 15
Top Posters
NoticeNotices