17 replies
Votes:
+11
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Legend
Citizen
V³ Citizen
Hello, i got like 20 different screenshots of people speaking another language in the chat. I'm telling them to read the rules and only speak english in the chat. And that if they wanna speak another language they can do /msh [player name] [message].
but they're just saying 'no' . I think that this is only happening when it's no staff online. Because when there's no staff online, no one can mute/jail them.

I find this really annoying and dissrespectfull.

- ellemannen
My teacher picked up a stick.
She said: At the end of this stick, There's an idiot.
I said: Which end.
Posted Oct 14, 13 · OP
Gecko1986 a
Votes:
+65
Level 3
LEVEL 3
Admins
Owner
Tekkit³ Supporter
Citizen
Mad Hatter
V³ Citizen
Post all your screenshots in here + in the future always include multiple screenshots (if you don't have those at the moment) showing the same person(s) refusing to stick to the rules.

But start by posting your existing screenshots.
Posted Oct 14, 13
Votes:
+24
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Legend
Donator
Knight
Mad Hatter
V³ Citizen
Apparently there is a rule that you can only speak english in chat. This rule is not in the rules tab on this site as of this post

I've been in this particular circumstance before. Not only on this server either. But this server's mods and admins have not handled the situation well at all.

Let's recreate a situation on the server about a week and a half ago and say I am the new player from a different language speaking nation:
I log on and see a bunch of computer screens with what look like to be an important list. If can't read these I say in chat something along the lines of, "Hello I'm new here. Can someone help me read these signs? I'm from <nation>"
From an english standpoint this can look like gibberish. So a mod says something like, "<my username>, please only speak english in the public chat." This can be seen as warning #1.
I still don't understand though I do recognize my username so I repeat my message by asking, "Can you <mod username> help with these signs? I am from <nation>." Again this can look like gibberish and since the messages look familiar can be seen as spam.
This time the moderator kicks me for 'spamming and not speaking in english in the public chat'. Both of which I didn't understand and was not told by the staff because of a lack of communication. I was also not given a fair 3 warnings in this instance.

Ok, now lets see what should have been done in this situation: *enters time warp :p
I log on and ask about the computer screens at spawn.
Mod asks me to speak in English only.
I ask my question again.
This time the mod should give me a second warning and not instantly kick me from the game. The mod may also mute me as well as is understandable.
This time too the moderator should look at my questions in more detail and try to determine the language I am typing. The mod can do this in different ways. One way is using Google Translate. The mod can easily copy and paste my message and attempt to determine my language. Once the mod has found my language he/she can then type and copy a message from Google Translate using the /msg command. The message should say something like, "This is moderator <mod name>, you must use English in the public chat. You have been warned 2 times already."
Upon my receiving this message I can then communicate with the mod and say that I did not understand the messages on the boards or in the chat. I also explain that my friends and I play on this server and that he does most of the communication for me anyways via Skype.
~ Situation Resolved ~ *exit time warp

Now back to real life, I occasionally have said "si" (yes) in the chat because not all my neighbors are entirely fluent in English. I try to learn Spanish and as a result have let it slip into my typing at times. I am in no way disrespecting anyone yet have typed in another language. Should I too be muted and kicked? :confused:

What I am really trying to say is that not all other languages are being disrespectful as this thread is trying to point out. Please atleast try to talk to the person instead of straight kicking them because of their language.
CdogNerfinator's Forum Rules:
#1 All posts must have at least one emoticon
#2 When revising a post use the "Edit" feature
#3 Punctuate all sentences
#4 Obey all CdogNerfinator's rules
Posted Oct 14, 13 · Last edited Oct 14, 13 by CdogNerfin...
NORscout
Votes:
+6
Legend
Tekkit³ Supporter
Royal
V³ Citizen
if they have absolute NO understanding of the english language, are they then even old enough to play a game like this? i am norwegian myself, and i would like to say that i master the language of english quite well.. and have done so from i was about 10.

when it comes to the part of mods kicking and muting here and there, what else is there to do? we cant just google translate every time a new player apear. then the player should see that his language does not on any way fit in, and go on google translate himself?

i do see from time to time players speak nordic language in the main chat, and try to tell them not to do that. the problem is that i can understand sweedish and danish all well, almost all norwegians do, but the sweeds and danish people "wont" understand norwegian.. this makes is kinda hard to do anything about it.

this is my wiew on the case, and does not represent any other mods or the server.

(sorry for fast typing, and bad spell check :p )
Posted Oct 14, 13
Gecko1986 a
Votes:
+65
Level 3
LEVEL 3
Admins
Owner
Tekkit³ Supporter
Citizen
Mad Hatter
V³ Citizen
I added the rule to our rules page.

For the rest: Use common sense.

We're trying to build a community here, to do that you need to have something in common, and for us that is to speak in English.

Feel free to use PMs if you wish to speak in your native language, but do not expect our mods to help you in any language other than that.

And if you wonder: my native langue isn't English either, it is Dutch (or Flemish to be more precise)
Posted Oct 14, 13
Votes:
+24
Level 1
LEVEL 1
Legend
Donator
Knight
Mad Hatter
V³ Citizen
My main concern was about the new player being instantly kicked for unknown reasons without any attempt to see what he/she wanted. I would think one of the jobs of a mod would be to help new people even if it means translating (if possible) the first few messages. Really no more than 5 pms would be necessary to get the player going. If the new player couldn't continue the game without using their own language then as NORscout pointed out they probably shouldn't be on the server anyway. Only then I would consider muting and kicking.
Thanks for responding and adding that rule too. :)
CdogNerfinator's Forum Rules:
#1 All posts must have at least one emoticon
#2 When revising a post use the "Edit" feature
#3 Punctuate all sentences
#4 Obey all CdogNerfinator's rules
Posted Oct 15, 13
Votes:
+2
Expert
Citizen
V³ Citizen
That's basically their need to be more mods from different places like me my language is Portuguese but I speak English so I can help people from France kinda Spain mostly portugal totally
Posted Oct 15, 13 · Last edited Oct 15, 13 by danielhi12
Gecko1986 a
Votes:
+65
Level 3
LEVEL 3
Admins
Owner
Tekkit³ Supporter
Citizen
Mad Hatter
V³ Citizen
We get countless amount of new players daily. We simply cannot give that kind of support. If you would join a russian game server, would you demand the same from them? I wouldn't, as I would expect them to speak RUSSIAN.

This all said, yesterday I kicked multiple people after MrT warned them in their own language to speak english but they kept persisting. So as you can see, already some mods go the extra mile, but I'm not about to go require them to do so.
Posted Oct 15, 13
Votes:
+2
Expert
Citizen
V³ Citizen
I'm not going agents yall say I am New and there a mod that speak French and im French I would speak to the mod and ask about stuff to get me going in pm that's is but if it's in the chat then I understand that's it annoying but come on
Posted Oct 15, 13
NORscout
Votes:
+6
Legend
Tekkit³ Supporter
Royal
V³ Citizen
what would u need to ask about to "get going"?
Posted Oct 15, 13
Page
of 2
Top Posters
NoticeNotices